Thursday 5 January 2017

Crystals and Knitting

Working our way through the Mel Science kit, our snowy crystal tree, didn't quite look like the image on the box, lots of pretty snowy crystals but not on the tree!


Thought we would then have a go at growing some other types of crystals so had a hunt throw our science supplies and found some copper sulphate, which produced some lovely diamond shape crystals. The girls have loved doing these, so will have to look into growing other types of crystals.


New knitting project started before Christmas is make this aran throw, have had the pattern for a while but finally decided to tackle it, the design isn't tricky it's just the amount of knitting involved to say the least!


Have finished the first panel, which was actually quicker to do than I thought and have made a start on the second panel,which is going to take a bit longer to do as there is a lot of cable pattern.



Live simply so others may simply live, was a quote I came across before Christmas and is one I keep thinking about, relevant to my life now, as we try and declutter and simplify our life but also as a bigger picture on how our actions affect others. We have always recycled as much as possible but now trying to precycle and reduce the amount of waste we put out whether it's recyclable or not. Think this is something I started doing a while ago but didn't have a name for it, we bulk buy from our local butchers, which means the meat doesn't come in bulky plastic containers, would love us all to be vegetarian but that isn't going to happen for various reasons. Use washable flannels in the house rather than baby wipes for hand washing etc. I came across the eco egg before Christmas and decided to give it a try, we have used different types of wash balls in the past but never been really happy with the results but the eco egg is pretty good, on heavily stained stuff and sports gear I am still using conventional powder but even if I only use the eco egg for half our weekly washing it will still reduce the amount of packaging I bin. As M sometimes wears make up I bought her some lovely cotton cleansing pads with a cute little bag to wash them, she loves them.

Linked up with Frontier Dreams, Keep calm craft on

4 comments:

  1. I love Aran knitting - your throw is lovely. I agree, precycling is definitely preferable. I too am trying to reduce the waste/packaging that comes into our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just had a look at your blog, some lovely ideas and crafts. Precycling makes so much more sense than just recycling alone.

      Delete
  2. That is going to be one gorgeous throw! That quote is really meaningful... something for me to mull over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the second panel is going to take a lot longer to do, I am constantly coming back to that quote and what it means in so many different situations.

      Delete