Wednesday 12 July 2017

Cogges Farm

Had a lovely day out and visited Cogges farm, the walled garden is wonderful to walk round, they have a variety of chickens and ducks to see, a few goats, two Shetland ponies and pigs. I will say we were rather disappointed with what we could see in the house, the only rooms set up are the kitchen and pantry which are interesting but that is it. We didn't realise that the farm scenes for Downton Abbey were filmed there, knew they filmed at Highclere Castle, the home of the Carnarvon family, which for those that know there ancient Egyptian history, will recognise the names Carter and Carnarvon for their discovery of Tutankhamum tomb.

They have a new greenhouse and I want one! I don't have space for one this size but loved the style and size of it!





Now M has been expressing an interest in photography and asked if she could us my camera, so the rest of the photos are hers, think she has done very well.



















On our walk we came across this sign, when we got home we spent some time learning how flax was made, we watched this video on how they would of made linen fabric from flax seed and this  a shorter version. I always wonder when I see things like this just how did we come up with this process to start with, what were they doing that made them realise that they could produce some sort of thread from a plant. Since then we have looked at cotton production and talked about the conditions in  the mills in this country, the various work conditions in Victorian Britain. Perfect time to introduce M to North & South, so covering history, working conditions, Victorian life as well as introducing her to the works of Elizabeth Gaskell.


As well as photography M has asked to do some dressmaking, she has chosen rosari skirt, paper pattern cut out and pinned, will share photos as she starts to sew, she has chosen the jean style pockets.

So chatting with my wonderful Aunt about various bits and mentioned the shawl I had made for my friends birthday, turns out she would love something like that too, doesn't take a lot of encouragement to start a new project, so knitting silverleaf for her in a nice soft baby acrylic, doesn't do natural wool fibres as they are too itchy. Have also ordered some new wool from our local wool shop, she had some lovely new patterns in, so that should be 3 Christmas presents sorted, as long as I get round to knitting them in time. So joining in with Kat for Unraveled Wednesdays


As it's L's birthday next week, I have been busy making her doll some new outfits, using up some of my fabric stash.










12 comments:

  1. I don't even garden but I WANT that greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me giggle but yes that greenhouse definitely has something about it doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is isn't it and I think it should suit my Aunt very well.

      Delete
  3. I think your daughter did very well with the camera. How fun that she wants to sew!
    I love the photo of the Cogges house. It is the quintessential English country scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I got so excited when she said she wanted to sew, she has done a little sewing, mainly by hand and used the machine to make some bunting, so dressmaking is a new venture and I am looking froward to it.

      Delete
  4. That green house would be a dream come true! I love seeing the hollyhocks, chickens, and everything else from your visit. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't, think my husband and I stood there going wow, could you imagine having something like this. The hollyhocks were stunning.

      Delete
  5. The shawl is such a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love making gifts for people I care about.

      Delete
  6. I have greenhouse envy too, it's like a house :) Love the AG dresses, beautiful!! Also your silverleaf is pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That greenhouse is causing a lot of envy, it is really lovely. L loved her AG dresses, might have to make her friend some for her birthday later in the year.

      Delete