Tuesday 18 April 2017

Easter

Hoping you all have had a a lovely Easter, we have, enjoyed the lovely weather and spent most of the time either in the garden or up the allotment. We have a lovely display of wallflowers and perennial erysimum in the garden at the moment and they smell lovely, they have seeded themselves and I am planning on digging up a couple of these plants and moving them to the allotment .              




The children have enjoyed an Easter egg hunt in the garden, actually more than one! L has got us to hide the eggs several times over as she loves hunting for them. They spent time decorating some wooden egg decorations.


 We made some hot cross buns, didn't glaze them which actually even if they don't look so nice they were nice to eat as you didn't end up with horrible sticky fingers, think next time I will add some more dried fruit to them.


Joining As Kat Knits for unravelled Wednesday . Now I have been working through my list of unfinished craft projects and feeling rather good, as I now have 4 left to do from the list and other than the cardi they are all longer term projects, so successful weekend and I have completed my tax return too!
  1. second panel of knitted throw.
  2. finish sewing L's blouse (fabric from stash)
  3. grey wrist warmers, not sure if I like the pattern in the wool I am using from my stash, so might unravel them and start again!
  4. have just started a white cardi for L again wool I already have.
  5. patchwork quilt
  6. dolls pyjamas that I had cut out of scraps of fabric
  7. cat cross stitch that I started a while ago
  8. a skirt, needs the zip put in and waistband finished, I got tot his stage last year and hoped I might loose a bit of weight, tone up, so didn't finish it!
 Made some pyjamas for L's doll, she is really pleased with them and for 2 nights in a row, got herself and her doll dressed ready for bed and asking for stories 45 minutes earlier than her normal bedtime, so she had an extra story.


Gave up on my original pattern for fingerless mittens, it was lovely eyelet daisy pattern but I just wasn't happy with the way it looked as I knitted it, unravelled it twice, not sure if it was my knitting or what but went for this pattern called workhorse mitts really pleased with them. Have sorted out some dark teal wool to make a small pair for L, which shouldn't take long to make.


A little update on our reducing our waste, it is going ok but slowly, M and I love our shampoo bars, I tried a conditioner one but that isn't enough for my hair so at the moment still using a bottled one, need to research that more at some point. I do use coconut oil as an intense condition so often as my hair is very dry and frizzy, the boys are still working though their bottles of shampoo and then will see what they make of the shampoo bars. I am pleased with how the eco egg is washing but if clothes are heavily stained then I am using powder but for everyday washing it does fine and removes smells and normal stains, just not ingrained dirt! Now I am happy when I wash up using a dishcloth and have used lots of odd bits of cotton yarn to make some new ones, my husband prefers a brush, he has been trialling the eco force brush with a replaceable head and is very pleased with it, the bristles seem to have lasted a long time. So looks like a permanent replacement, we have toothbrushes that are very similar so instead of replacing the whole brush you just replace the bristle part.

14 comments:

  1. I love seeing your flower photos! They are beautiful and different from the usual varieties growing in US gardens. And doll pajamas! It looks like you took care with the details, plus the added benefit of getting your daughter willing to get ready for bed early. That is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonny, I love these flowers, only seen them in our shops in the last couple of years, so think a newer colour variety, they are hardy and my rabbit doesn't eat them either which is a good result. The doll pyjamas are top stitched etc just like the pair I made for L, the novelty of going to bed early is beginning to wear of, hubby has suggested I make a dressing gown and see if that works!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bonny! Your flower photos are beautiful! I am in awe of your doll pj's! Wow! And, I love your crossed off items on your unfinished (now finished) projects! Thanks for joining today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting through my list, it was nice to get some crossed of, blogging the list certainly helped motivate me. Think the fabric really does make the pj's look perfect.

      Delete
  3. Good for you and the hot cross buns. I had every intention of trying to get some together, but alas it was not meant to be. Next year, I have to start on them Thursday night. Thank you for sharing all of your projects. They are very care - filled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a plan to make hot crossed buns but think I only ever manage it alternate years!

      Delete
  4. Flowers, crossed off items, knitting, and trying something new -
    I like it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie, think writing a list and blogging it has got to be the best motivation to finishing of all those projects and not starting any new ones, does help that my local craft shop is shut over the Easter holidays :)

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed with your project checkoff!

    I woke up to a layer of snow blanketing everything, so your lovely flowers are a delight to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the flower photos brightened your day, hoping the snow doesn't cause to much of problem and you can enjoy the beauty of fresh snow.

      Delete
  6. beautiful mitts and I love the AG clothes :) My daughter had one growing up. Lovely flowers and spring is showing it's best self these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving making clothes for the AG dolls, it's a great way to use up odd bits of fabric and have a happy daughter too :)

      Delete
  7. That is such a good idea about listing your to-do projects and posting them - there is nowhere to hide!!! ;-) The little doll pyjamas are so sweet and well done for completing so many of your projects. The self seeded wallflowers are such a bonus. I love that when the birds help us with our gardening :-) And good for you for making hot cross buns - I plan to every year and so far never have...And your cutting down on waste is inspiring. Good for you Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, listing projects definitely helped motivate me to finish them all, think I might end up blogging my cleaning schedule might keep me on track there too!! We have white aquilegia that have self seeded all down the side of the drive, not in the flower bed lol but they do look good so have left them to seed themselves every year now, always a pleasure to see where they will spring up next :)

      Delete