Wednesday 12 April 2017

Finishing Projects

Last week was a busy week, catching up with friends who are now on Easter holidays, O had his follow up appointment with the consultant after his emergency op last month, he is really pleased with his recovery and has been discharged from hospital care, which is brilliant news.

In the meantime the girls have been busy planting lots of seeds, a tray of sunflowers and beans, then we have direct sowed lots of peas, and scattered a mixture of seeds round the flower beds at home. We ended up with Californian poppies, cornflowers, love in the mist, zinnias and red poppies, the Californian poppies usually do really well and we get a lovely display most years. They usually seed themselves really well but this year only seem to have had only a couple of plants come up this year, so time for some new seeds and fingers crossed we get a lovely display again this year.



We've had a go at some wet felting, they all enjoyed the process, think it needed a bit more working than we did but they enjoyed the process and are pleased with the results, so that is the most important thing.





My girls have enjoyed making patterns with the glass beads and L made paths for her fairies to walk along.


Now I have been determined to try and finish some of my craft projects before I start something new and use up some of my wool and fabric stash, not sure exactly how well I am doing! So finished the birthday cardi in hayfield  blossom, simple pattern but pretty soft wool.  Loved the way the pattern knitted up, there was bit of juggling to get the pattern to match up at the front, just my personal preference, don't mind the sleeves being different but just felt the pattern across the front needed to be in the same place! Now bought some lovely purple wool in the same range to make L a cardi, oops, so much for not buying more wool!


And another birthday gift finished and in the post, just hope it arrives safely, always get nervous when sending something you have worked hard on through the post!


I am now halfway through the second panel of my throw, it's a lot of cable work on each row, so slower going than the first panel.
So projects to finish are

  1. second panel of knitted throw.
  2. finish sewing L's blouse (fabric from stash)
  3. grey wrist warmers, not sure if I like the pattern in the wool I am using from my stash, so might unravel them and start again!
  4. have just started a white cardi for L again wool I already have.
Which doesn't sound too bad but sorting through various fabric, I have sorted out enough purple fabric to make L a winter coat, made one 2 years ago that she loves, so same pattern just bigger size, found some white wool to make myself a cardi and some stretch jersey to run up some leggings! So knowing me I will probably start at least another project before I finish the above but least they are all from my stash of craft materials!

I am halfway through reading Honeycomb Kids, just read the chapter on Getting Dirty and the benefits of gardening, so adding to the list I made about what children learnt from gardening with me, the book talks about the benefits of healthy pesticide free food, vitamin d from being outside, reducing our carbon footprint, the skills children learn through growing food, to name a few. Have just been passed a copy of Connect with Nature, looks a beautiful book, having a quick flick through, I think a lot of the stuff we already do but you never know on a closer look might fond something new. The photos are beautiful and think it will be nice for me to sit and look at, especially for those times when you need a positive inspiration moment. Have also treated myself to copy of Alchemy of Herbs, it looks great, really informative, each chapter covers one herb and talks you through the different uses, health benefits and some recipes, looking forward to trying some of them out.


On a childminding planning front, I have put together some of the spring activities into a more structured plan this month. Sometimes, I just have lots of ideas bouncing round in my head, sometimes I just list ideas and other times, I like to write up a more structured plan like the ones below, the second plan is just my ideas fitted into the eyfs, which might be helpful to some people. It really varies on what and/or how many children I have, how busy I am etc, as to how or what I do, it's just what works well for me at that moment in time.



Joining Frontier Dreams for Crafting On and as Kat Knits for Unravelled wednesdays

10 comments:

  1. Great projects, especially planting seeds. I hope you'll treat us to some photos of lovely blooms when it's time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonny, if I get a good display then I will share the photos, love spring with all the promise of what is to come.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are enjoying Honeycomb Kids. I will look for the other two books you mentioned. I can't wait to see your beautiful flower displays when I am in winter here! Your projects are just gorgeous - and the felting, wow!
    So many wonderful things in this post - just loved it. Wishing you and your family a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy Easter to you too Jayne. The book is great, I am so glad you wrote about it. Hope I do get a good display of flowers, the children can't wait to do some more felting.

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow! I love the felted pictures! What a great idea! AND, your knitting is beautiful! Thank you for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, have enjoyed seeing all the other projects linked up with your unravelled wednesdays.

      Delete
  4. Those felted pictures are beautiful - inspired by a favourite book of ours Ferdie's spring time blossom :-) You have some lovely ideas for your home schooling week. The cardigan is beautiful and the unicorn is just perfect - hope it got there fine. Lovely to see all your thoughtful projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ferdie books are lovely aren't they? We have done so many activities based around ferdie's adventures. The unicorn arrived safely just in time for her birthday.

      Delete
  5. Ah they are! Ferdie is just so sweet and full of wonder and the books are so beautifully illustrated and put together. Glad your unicorn arrived on time and was no doubt well received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are that, I have recommended the Ferdie books to so many people, they are such a delight to read.

      Delete